The LPG industry has a very good safety record but there are parts of the distribution channel that are considered high risk and where regular incidents occur. Two of these both involve the transport of LPG. The handling of LPG cylinders through the various parts of the distribution channel and the movement of bulk LPG from primary storage, by bulk road tankers and railcars, to terminal and consumer bulk storage facilities.
Poor LPG cylinder handling can lead to lost time injuries throughout the distribution channel. Serious incidents involving the movement of bulk LPG by road and railcar can lead to multiple fatalities, injuries, and asset damage.
The topic for the Challenge ‘21 focuses on seeking innovating measures to improve the safety of operations throughout the downstream LPG value chain, for both the packed (cylinders) and bulk sectors.
So, this is the World LPG Challenge for 2021. What innovating measures can be created for the industry to improve safety when transporting LPG through the distribution channel to the end user? How can LPG cylinders be better handled and distributed to reduce safety incidents? What can be done to improve safety when transporting bulk LPG, from the storage tank to bulk road tankers and railcars, to the customers facilities?
We want to hear your innovative ideas to create a safer environment for transporting LPG through the distribution channel and support the already good safety record that the industry has. These ideas might include:
- The improvement of existing equipment design, or the creation of new equipment, for handling LPG cylinders, both small and large
- The loading and unloading of bulk road tankers or railcars
- The role of the driver of both packed and bulk vehicles and how their procedures could be made safer through driver alerts with, for example, facial recognition techniques
- Improved scheduling, to reduce the risks of transporting LPG on the road
- The improvement of existing, or the creation of new, handling procedures for both packed and bulk LPG
- How the utilisation and the linking of digitilisation technology can be weaved into this innovation to make it attractive and easy to use
There will be many, many other ideas. We’d like to hear from you!